Project: Transpower Pole 3 HVDC and Pole 2 Control replacement
Country: New Zealand
Transpower New Zealand recently built a new Pole 3, which is a point-to-point LCC HVDC link between their North and South Islands. They also replaced the existing pole 2 controls with new controls from the same vendor. TGS developed the technical specification for the HVDC converters. TGS also performed design review, witnessed factory acceptance tests and provided on-site support during commissioning.
TGS Owner’s Engineer services:
- Specification Development
- Review of HVDC manufacturer design reports
- Witnessing factory performance testing (FPT)
- Control & protection (Extensive functional performance tests)
The main challenges with the Transpower pole 3 project were:
- An extensive amount of Factory performance testing was required to ensure minimal impact to the islands during testing.
- Implementation of a round power mode to enable the link to stay online at 0MW power transfer
- Weak system
- Integrating a new pole while maintaining operation of the other pole which used a different vendor’s equipment.
- Integrating controls from a different vendor to an existing valve.